One of the most interesting things about being in China is finding out how the people here view “Americans.” Most Chinese have not been to America. Most Americans have not been to China. And there’s a lot of stereotypes and assumptions coming from both parties.
I had one lady tell me that she would love to go to the US, because she knows all about it from watching Friends. A taxi driver insisted that America was the best place to go to get an education. And then yesterday I got in another animated, political conversation—this time, with the man who sat next to me on the bus. He asked me if I had come to China to be safe from all the terrorists that were infiltrating America. I tried to explain that I actually felt quite safe in America, and that there are NOT a lot of terrorists there. I’m not sure if I convinced him. He also brought up the issue of America bullying other countries, and told me how he likes peace. I like peace, too, I said.
He asked me if liked China or the US better. He asked me if the environment was better in China or the US. And then he asked me if I thought Chinese men or American men were better looking. (By “American” he meant “white American.” In retrospect I probably should have told him that not all Americans are Caucasian.) I laughed, and replied that it depended on the person. He wasn’t amused. Very seriously, he told me that he thought American men were uglier, because they had such long hairs on their arms. Rubbing his own forearm, he observed that Chinese men didn’t have such hairy arms, which looks better and feels better. He was so adamant about this that I burst into laughter. I laughed good and hard. I wasn’t trying to be rude, but after a pretty tense afternoon of yelling at the orphanage and our animated debate, I needed a good laugh. Meilina told me to ask him if he shaved his arms, and then I laughed even harder.
So to a Chinese national, Americans are hairy, war-loving, sit-com characters with loose morals. What stereotypes have you heard about the Chinese? (Just so you know, they don’t all do kung fu and worship Chairman Mao.) But all stereotypes are based on truth, right? So what does that say about us? And them?
Hahahahaha, I'll have to pay closer attention to the hairiness of Asians arms from now on. Nice blog Anna! I like the specs :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Rachelle!
ReplyDelete