Yesterday we left Starfish and Xi’an. I felt really sad to say good-bye to the children. I know they are in good hands at Starfish. I admire Amanda (the founder of Starfish Foster Home) so much. She has made a difference to so many precious souls. And they really are precious. I’ve been with these babies every day for the past six weeks! They are so sweet, and I love them. I think it must be hard for them to have people coming and going so much. Most volunteers are not able to stay for as long as we were. It may sound presumptuous, but I think they will miss us.
So we’ll be in Beijing for the next few days, and then we’re heading home next Wednesday. Beijing is super fun and super busy. We’re staying at a hostel right outside the Front Gate of the city and right next to a metro stop which gives us access to the whole city! Already, our time here has been jam-packed with tourism. Today we went to: the Beijing Olympic Park (Saw the Bird’s Nest and the Water Cube, and even sat in the room where Michael Phelps won 8 gold medals), the Lama temple (the largest Tibetan Buddhist temple outside of Tibet. The temple is still in use, and there was quite a reverent mood as Chinese burned incense and bowed at each of the statues) a Confucius temple (where we saw a ritual music performance and stone tablets engraved with the 13 Classics), and a spectacular performance of Peking Opera. I’m exhausted and my feet are sore, but it was a GREAT day.
Me and one of Confucius’ disciples


No comments:
Post a Comment