
This morning, after a leisurely breakfast, a quick shower, and checking my email, I headed out to catch Bus 4 to take me to the train station. There, I bought train tickets for church tomorrow. I had lunch at KFC and then wandered around a bit. To my pleasant surprise, I found the Zhenjiang mall. I don't know if they call it a mall, but that's what it was. They had EVERYTHING. Food, clothes, electronics, toiletries, toilets, even peanut butter! (no ketchup) It is very modern. This discovery may be a very bad thing for me, because they have American Eagle quality clothes at Wal-Mart prices. I bought a really nice purse on sale for 68 yuan, ten USD. I almost bought a yellow plastic belt for Sara. :) They do, however, have some high-end stores with "normal" prices. I am going to a baby shower for three women in our branch next weekend, so I bought baby gifts. From the baby store, I also bought character flashcards intended to teach toddlers for myself.
The grocery store there did have English translations for the various aisles, but they were quite funny: "Dailies" (Dairy) "Man's Underwear" "Cookong" (cooking) and "MSG."
So, laden with three bags of my purchases, I headed out to catch Bus 4 home. It was raining, now, so after stepping in a huge puddle, I hopped on Bus 10, which also stops by the kindergarten. At least I thought it did. Half an hour later, give or take, I found myself on the banks of the Yangzi River in the middle of the loudest thunderstorm I have ever heard, with three bags and no umbrella. It was very amusing. I thought I had caught Bus 10 going the wrong direction, so I crossed the street and got on Bus 10 headed the other way. Well, half an hour later, the bus stopped and everyone got off and I had no idea where I was. So, I broke down and got a taxi, eight yuan as opposed to the bus fare of one, showed the kind driver my address, and less than five minutes later, I was home. Hehe, what an adventure just to go shopping!
Here are my groceries. Total cost: about ten USD.
Here are my groceries. Total cost: about ten USD.

Hi, Anna. I love every word of your blog! Congratulations on finding the mall! Thank you for taking the time to write it and for the pictures. Love, Grandpa John
ReplyDelete