I had the wonderful opportunity of spending the past weekend in Shanghai for the Shanghai International District Conference. At 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, I boarded the train from Zhenjiang. I met up with Caroline Pederson, who is in the Nanjing branch also. She is studying Chinese at Nanjing Normal University. We spent Saturday seeing the highlights of Shanghai. We walked the Bund, where you can see all the colonial/imperial influence of Western powers. We met some art students from Beijing who showed us their art exhibit in a nearby hotel, and then went to the Shanghai museum. The Shanghai Museum is very nice. My favorite gallery was the furniture gallery; I have never seen such gorgeous, ornately-carved desks, chairs, and tables. Saturday night Caroline and I went out to dinner with other young adults from Shanghai. It was great to be with English-speakers and they were a lot of fun! We actually went to a place called Peter's Tex-Mex...it was the worst tex-mex I've ever had, but by Chinese standards, it was pretty good!And yes, Texas pride does exist on the other side of the world--the waiter's apron was designed like the good old Lone Star flag.
Seventies Elder Joshua Subandrio from Jakarta, Indonesia was there to speak to us. The conference was all about strengthening families and the kingdom of God, all very inspiring. The general session was held in the Renaissance hotel's Crystal ballroom, with about as many people as the Katy 3rd ward, maybe a little more, in attendance. The Shanghai International District is one year old now!
I don't know what's wrong but the computer will not let me upload pictures to the Internet, so for now, just imagine my smiling face from Shanghai. Love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment