Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentines' Day!




Remember all those stairs in Kung Fu Panda? Stairs can be tiring! After calling home via Skype this morning, I went for a walk. At the top of these stairs (left) is a pavillion. Above the pollution of the city, older folks were doing tai chi while children played at the nearby park.


The outdoor markets really come alive on Saturdays. They sell everything from Gillette razors to hand-bent hangers. On a tarp there was a mound of toothbrushes at least a foot tall and two feet wide. Of course there were plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and potted cactus.


I didn't have a camera with me at the time, but yesterday I saw a middle-aged man pedaling a rusty bicycle with a giant TV strapped to the back. If a picture is worth a thousand words, this is a good description of China.


When I got back to the kindergarten after my walk this morning, it was locked, but Xiao Ji, the gatekeeper, let me in and gave me a key to the main gate. Along the main gate (right picture) are photographs of "Park Acticities of Party Members," or little blurps about key leaders on the Communist Party. Behind my bedroom is a "Service Center for CPC Members."

Wo Ai Nimen Duo! (I love you all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment