Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Loved Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a beautiful city, dancing with smells and sounds and tourists. China Horizons arrived in Hong Kong International Airport on Friday morning, local time. (Adjusting to the new time zone has been relatively painless.) Our group stayed at the temple patron housing just across from the Hong Kong temple. The baptistry, gold, white and mirrored, is underground. I did fifteen baptisms and fifteen confirmations on both Friday and Saturday.
We also saw some of the sights of the city, including the temple of Ten Thousand Buddhas, which actually has 12,800 Buddhas, and a Daoist temple where we found rows and rows of stalls with palmreaders and fortune tellers. Incidentally, I went to the LDS temple, Buddhist temple, and Daoist temple all in one day. Inside the temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I felt the satisfaction and truth of the gospel.
I tried my hand at bartering in the Mong Kok night market. My conclusion: I feel either guilty or cheated.
Yesterday I flew into Zhenjiang and Fanny, the headmistress of our kindergarten, was there to meet me holding up a sign that read "ANNA ROSE". I exchanged my money and we drove downtown to meet up with two other teachers, Sofia and Nancy.
Everyone at this kindergarten has English names, although their English is not quite as good as I had expected. Oh well, I guess that means I have to learn Mandarin.
Today, one of the students asked me, "Ni shi cong mei guo lai de ma?" (Are you from America?) and I answered, "Si."Oops, wrong language. :)
Having taught only four classes, I already love the kids here. They are very curious about me with my big nose and hair that's not black. (By the way, one of the students here is albino and she is gorgeous. There are also two adorable twin girls and a very chubby and energetic kid named Danny.) "Hellomynameisdannynicetomeetyoutoo" is how they speak to me!
I ventured out to the market across the street on my lunch break today. They do have Dove chocolate, but no Life cereal. I bought essentials for my apartment: toilet paper, shampoo, hangers, and banana chips.
I love you all. Congrats on Solo and Ensemble Sara!!! I miss you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment